Under-21: Ukraine capitalise on three minutes of madness in the 89th minute

Sunday, May 30, 2010, 20:21

Malta 0 – Ukraine 3 (Ht 0-0)

Malta did not manage to hold on to a precious point when it was penalised in the 89th minute with a converted penalty. It was surely Mark Scerri’s ankle injury the turning point in the match fifteen minutes from time as together with Rowen Muscat they where dictating play in midfield. Ukraine did not create a lot of goal scoring chances bar two which could have been converted in the second half and Malta had their moments with some counter attacks.

Terrence Vella was substituted in the second half with Miguel Ciantar and this boosted the Maltese team temporarily. Captain Tyrone Farrugia was a much needed absentee as a penalty scored by Yaroslav Rakitskiy capitalised on Scerri’s injury in the second half. This penalty paved way to a string of errors with the second goal coming from an indecision between Bonello and Borg who both had a good game overall. The second goal was scored by Andriy Yarmolenko in the 89th minute and the third was a well placed lob by Valerii Fedorchuk in the injury time.

Malta: Henry Bonello (GK) (C), Giuseppe Muscat, Joseph Zerafa, Steve Borg, Rowen Muscat, Terence Vella, Mark Scerri, Julian Galea, Richard Chetcuti, Duncan Pisani, Carl Pulo
Substitutes: Steve Sultana (GK), Clive Spiteri, Miguel Ciantar, Andrew Scicluna, Adrian Borg, Quelin Refalo, Sergio Hili
Coach Edwin Camilleri (MLT)

Ukraine: Anton Kanibolotskiy (GK), Oleksandr Matveyeyev, Yevgen Selin, Yaroslav Rakitskiy, Taras Stepanenko (C), Mykola Morozyuk, Roman Zozulya, Andriy Yarmolenko, Serhiy Kryvtsov, Maxym Bilyy, Denys Garmash
Substitutes: Denys Boyko (GK), Vitaliy Vitsenets, Volodymyr Lysenko, Artem Putivtsev, Volodymyr Chesnakov, Valerii Fedorchuk, Artur Zapadnya
Coach Pavlo Iakovenko (UKR)

Referee Lars Christoffersen (DEN)
Assistant referees Torben Jensen (DEN), Lars Hummelgaard (DEN)
Fourth official Henrik Nystrup Kragh (DEN)

Leave a comment