Under 15 knockout final

Monday, June 3, 2013, 17:42
Pieta win the double
Pieta H  2        Sliema W   1 
 After winning the Section decider Pieta also won the Knock Out Final. The game was watched by a very large crowd at the Luxol Ground and was played at a very fast pace pleasing the crowd present.
Pieta had the edge over Sliema who committed the gravest of mistakes by trying to operate on long and high balls which were dealt with ease by the tall Pieta defenders and they also lost control of the midfield sector from the very start of the game.
After only four minutes Pieta opened the score when Jean Borg released Luke Bonello on the left flank who then crossed to Matthias Lunetti in the area and scored with a header beating Sliema keeper Matthew Attard.
In another action by Pieta, Borg entered the area after beating a defender and Attard saved his lobbed ball.
In the first action by Sliema, James D’Agostino served Miguel Mifsud in the area and Pieta keeper Jacob Chircop St John foiled him with a timely sortie.
Attard then foiled Lunetti with a timely sortie in two attempts after he was put through by Nicholas Pulis.
The score became 2-0 in the 20th minute when James Scicluna dribbled past a defender on the right flank and after entering the area he scored with a hard low drive in the far post.
Sliema then mounted two actions. Aidan Friggieri was fouled in midfield and from the same player’s free kick the ball hit the upright and finished out with Chircop St John beaten and Friggieri was again fouled on the left edge of the area, his free kick in area created havoc but the ball was cleared away.
Pieta kept insisting and Bonello released Pulis on the left flank who after entering the area the ball missed the far post by inches from his shot.
Sliema created the last action before the break when Friggieri was fouled on the right flank and Chircop St John saved the free kick shot in two attempts.
The first action after the restart was created by Sliema as Kurt Shaw served Friggieri in the area and the ball was cleared to a corner from his header, while at the other end moments later Bonello released Scicluna on the left flank and the ball was cleared to a corner following his cross.
In the 48th minute Sliema reduced the gap when Friggieri was fouled outside the area and after he floated a perfect high ball in the area from the free kick Shaw managed to head the ball in the net.
Friggieri was again fouled on the right flank and from his free kick the ball skimmed the bar and finished out.
In the 62nd minute Sliema should have been awarded a penalty. After a flag kick by Joseph M Vella from the right flank, Shaw, who was on the left edge of the area managed a low drive in the direction of the far post and a defender handled the ball on the line. The referee might have been screened by some players during the action but this all happened in full view of Assistant James Farrugia who was in a very good position to note the infringement. 
 The last action before the end was created by Sliema when Andrea Martinelli was fouled on the left flank and the free kick by Friggieri created havoc in the area but the ball was some how cleared away.
After the match, Youth FA Chairman Fr Hilary Tagliaferro presented the Trophy to Pieta captain Nicholas Pulis and also medals to both sets of players and match officials.
Pieta: J.Chircop St John, B.Scerri, L.Bonello, N.Ghio, J.Borg (K.Darmanain 69), R.Cesare, J.Busuttil, N.Pisani, N.Pulis, M.Lunetti, J.Scicluna
Sliema W: M.Attard, A.Azzopardi, J.Vella, J.D’Agostino, D.Mijailovic, A.Friggieri, K.Shaw, A.Martinelli, (L.Borg 69), A.Cilia (D.Borg 46), J.M.Vella, M.Mifsud
Yellow cards: M.Attard (S) M.Lunetti, R.Cesare (P)
 Referee: Keith Buhagiar
Assistant I: Elvio De Gabriele
Assistant II: James Farrugia

Leave a comment