U*Bet FA Trophy round up

Monday, November 15, 2010, 16:49

by Joshua Cacciatolo.

The 74th edition of the Maltese football F.A. Trophy commenced last Wednesday when Pieta Hotspurs  beat Msida ST Joseph 6-0 in a one sided encounter from the first minute. A Hat-trick from Robson Luiz Bandeira and a brace from Zack Muscat paved way for the Hotspurs victory.  A second half goal by Sheldon Grech made the final score 6-0 to put the Blues in the  first round of this competition against strugglers Hiberians.

On Friday Floriana managed to beat Lija Athletics  3-0 at the Hiberians Stadium. Ivan Woods managed a brace, the first thanks to a superb trough ball by Christian Cassar which Woods converted. He then he hit a direct free kick in the second half. Clyde Borg sealed the victory late in the match for the Greens.

In the second match Marsaxlokk beat promotion chasers Mqabba thanks to Julio Alcorse who scored on the 33rd minute with a header  derived from a Dylan Kokavessis right cross.

Also on Friday promotion hopefull Mosta beat Dingli Swallows 5-3 after extra time. Dingli S looked in the driving seat after Chris Ciappara converted a penalty and Joreilly Chirino scored from a low shot, but Mosta managed to level the score thanks to Ryan Deguara and Mark Briggs the latter scoring from a penalty to make it 2-2 at Half-time. In the second half Dingli regained the lead when Ryan Samut managed to  Noel Attard but then again the ex Qormi winger Ryan Deguarra made the score it 3-3 and the game went to extra-time. Mosta scored two goals to seal the issue, first thanks to an own goal by Kurt Formosa and then with Michael Briggs who scored his second penalty and the third in the game.

On Saturday, strugglers Hiberians won against a hard working Pieta Hotspurs sqaud. Ninteen year old Jean Paul Farrugia opened the score. After the break Jonathan Pearson, Jean Paul Farrugia (with his second goal) and Scottish striker Paul Mc Manus secured a second round berth for Miller and Lufi.

In the second match at the Victor Tedesco stadium, Tarxien Rainbows beat Balzan 3-1 thanks to three goals scored  from their Brazilian players. Sergio Pacheco again opened the score with a superb strike. Cristiano Rodriguez doubled the lead on the 34th minute. Anyanwu for Balzan partially reduced the gap from the penalty spot at the stroll of the first half. Defender Everton Pereira headed home on the 56th minute for a 3-1 final score.

On Sunday Wayne Attard’s squad had the better of St. Georges with a 2-1 score at the Centenary Stadium. St Andrews managed to open the score thanks to a Jack Pallen shot.  Four minutes later Jonathan Briscoe easily passed into the Cottonera team defence to put Luxol two up before break. In the second part of the game Glen Bonello made no mistake from the penalty spot to make the score 2-1. The two teams had a player each sent off.

In the only game at Gozo Stadium, Vittoriosa Stars beat Victoria Hotspurs 4-2. The Hotspurs opened the score on the 15th minute when Kalin Ganchev beat stand in keeper Jean Matthias Vella. Ten minutes later Jorge Silva equalised for the reds. Three minutes in the second half Justin Azzopardi regained the lead for Victoria Hotspurs. Again Vittoriosa Stars made the score 2-2 thanks to a Leighton Grech powerful shot. Two minutes later Anthony Ewurum put Vittoriosa in the lead for the first time in the match and again the Nigerian striked again to make the score 4-2 in the added time.

Leave a comment