Three players in surprise meeting with MFA boss over allowance row

Thursday, February 24, 2011, 20:00

by Sandro Micallef

Three National Football team players have met MFA President Norman Darmanin Demajo earlier today to try and solve the current issue revolving around the MFA’s recent decision to cut training session allowances.

The meeting which was held on Thursday at 5pm was made possible thanks to a third party who is believed to form part of the MFA’s Executive committee. The latter (not named in the MFA’s council) called the MFA boss at 4pm and asked him if he was ready to meet three players who were to speak on behalf of all the players.

Darmanin Demajo explained to a packed Centenary Hall that he was concerned about the matter and did not want this issue to escalate. After he explained the reason why the new administration had decided to stop the training sessions allowances, he added that he always spoke on this subject with extra attention as he never wanted to be misquoted.

Darmanin Demajo said that he was happy to announce that a solution is in due course since the three players’ representatives understood the basic concept behind the idea of the MFA to draw a line upon the sessions’ allowances.

“I imagined that the players would have been happy with this new proposal and welcome the fact that they would get more money when they play with the National team but it was not the case” explained Darmanin Demajo.

The issue had escalated earlier this week after the players decided not to turn up for the Tuesday training session. The players had sent a letter to the MFA President on February 2 prior the Switzerland international friendly game.

In today’s cordial meeting both parties agreed that a win-win situation is the ideal way forward for the benefit of all. The only another stumbling block before a formal agreement is reached, is the players’ counter proposal to the new “Line Up bonus scheme”. The players are still insisting that all the players must be paid an allowance for each international game and not only those 18 that are included in the official line up.

A formal decision is to be agreed upon in the coming weeks. In the interim the players will resume with their training sessions. John Buttigieg and Carmel Busuttil were also in attendance.





2 Comments

  1. arnold Attard says:

    min jaf aliex kien inkwetat ndd fuq din l issue qed ihoss il pressure issa dan ! Gej liebes Ghall MFA.

    [Reply]

  2. luckychap@onvol.net says:

    I am smelling yet another u turn by the new administration

    [Reply]

Leave a comment