Seven-goal thriller between St.Andrews and Hamrun

Tuesday, December 14, 2010, 12:38

APS Bank Under 17 Section A

by Victor Ciangura courtesy of The Malta Independent
St Andrew   3         Hamrun S     4
This match kicked off 8 minutes late as Referee Jude Utulu arrived on the ground 5 minutes before kick-off time. The game was watched by a sizeable crowd who braved the cold weather at Luxol Ground.
Following this game Hamrun are on 8 points from 8 games lying fourth from bottom while
St Andrew are on 13 points also from 8 games and are sixth in the table.
Hamrun were the first to threaten when Nicholas Bradshaw handled the ball on the right flank in St Andrews’ half, from the free kick by Luke Grech St Andrew keeper Gianluca Felice turned the ball to a corner, which was taken by Grech who served Ayrton Micallef with a short pass and Felice saved his effort from the edge of the area.
In St Andrews’ next attack they won a corner on the right flank which was taken by Clyde Cumbo and created havoc in the area and Hamrun keeper Isaac Zammit Cordina manged to neutralise the ball in two attempts.
Hamrun opened the score in the 11th minute. Ryan Spiteri served Ryan Bonello with a high ball in the area and as Felice came out to neutralise the ball he was decieved by the bounce and the ball finished at the back of the net.
The score became 2-0 in the 15th minute when Bonello was fouled on the left flank and Spiteri scored direct from the free kick with a strong rising shot.
 St Andrew then mounted two actions in a row. Cumbo served Simon Mangion with a through ball in the area but Zammit Cordina foiled him with a timely sortie and he also turned the ball to a corner with a diving save from a free kick by Cumbo after Julian Farrugia was fouled on the left flank.
 The score became 3-0 in the 32nd minute when Bonello served Micallef with a though ball who scored with a low shot after entering the area.

Hamrun came very close a fourth goal just before the half time whistle when Micallef dribbled past an opponent on the right flank and served Bonello with across in the area and after Felice partly saved his shot the ball was cleared on the fatal line.
In the first action after restart by Hamrun Kevin Calleja was fouled on the left flank, from the free kick by Spiteri the ball was deflected goalwards by a defender and Felice managed to save the ball, from the same action, Felice served Bradshaw on the left flank and after he was fouled Zammit Cordina partly saved the free kick shot by Cumbo and the ball was somehow cleared to safety.
St Andrew reduced the gap in the 54th minute. From a long throw-in from the left flank by Mark Bonello Ghio he served Michael Johnson in the area who side-headed the ball to Bradshaw and the latter scored with a header, four minutes later St Andrew scored a second goal. Karl Mifsud Bonnici served Cumbo on the right flank and after Zammit Cordina neutralised the ball from the cross the referee judged that he held the ball for more than six seconds. From the resultant indirect free kick in the area, Johnson served Cumbo with a short pass and he scored with a hard grounder.
 In the 64th minute St Andrew equalised as Mifsud Bonnici was fouled outside the area and Cumbo scored with a hard rising shot from 35 metres.
Two minutes before the end of normal time Spiteri should have sealed the issue for Hamrun but he skied the ball from 2 metres with only the keeper to beat after a perfect cross from the left by Micallef. 
In the first minute of added time Hamrun scored a dramatic winner. Micallef served Spiteri on the left flank who then crossed the ball in the area and substitute Gary Desira scored with a low shot.
Referee: Jude Utulu                                    Player of the match:Ayrton Micallef (Hamrun S)

Leave a comment