Qormi and Young Stars to battle for title

Tuesday, April 1, 2014, 1:53

Qormi 3 Hotsticks 1 

Hotsticks took the lead in the 5 th minute when they were awarded a penalty stroke which Shawn Grima converted. This stunned Qormi and conditioned play for the rest of the half, the only action of note being when Qormi squandered a half chance in the 19 th minute. Otherwise the game developed into a stalemate in midfield and half time was reached with Hotsticks holding on to their slender lead.

The second half turned into a different affair altogether. Qormi did not take advantage of the first penalty corner awarded in the 37 th minute. At the other end, in the 42 nd minute Qormi’s goalkeeper smothered a shot from close range. Three minutes later Thomas De Giovanni missed a chance to equalize for Qormi. Hotsticks then applied heavy pressure but did not take advantage of three penalty corners around the 50 minute mark. A minute later and against the run of play De Giovanni met a cross delivered from the left by Kyle Micallef and slotted home to draw Qormi level. In the 55 th minute Qormi were awarded a penalty stroke and Juan Sarcia shot them into a 2 -1 lead. The tempo of the game became mainly dependent on fast breakaways but Qormi went further ahead two minutes from time when they were awarded the second penalty stroke and Sarcia grabbed his second sealing a 3 -1 victory for his team which determined that the league will be decided in a play- off against Young Stars, next weekend – a repeat of last year’s scenario.

White Hart 3 Rabat 7

The clock had hardly started ticking, when after 25 seconds, Edward Degabriele netted a cross from David Agius to shoot White Hart 1 – 0 ahead. Rabat then won three penalty corners in succession and in the12th minute Shawn Falzon converted the third to draw them level. They went ahead in the 23 rd minute when Falzon grabbed his second following a penalty corner action. Further pressure resulted in Rabat taking a 3 – 1 lead when Matthew Buhagiar netted after an exchange of passes inside the D Just before half time White Hart were awarded a penalty stroke and Keith Laferla converted in style to reduce the deficit to 3 –2 in Rabat’s favour.

White Hart started the second half in a lively manner and in the 45 th minute Liam Azzopardi netted to equalize. This stung Rabat and five minutes later they went 4 – 3 ahead when Mario Galea picked up a rebound off the goalkeeper’s pads. White Hart did not take advantage of three penalty corners awarded in as many minutes around the 53 rd minute and a minute later they were punished when Jonathan Micallef shot Rabat 5 – 3 ahead netting with a reverse hit from the top of the D. Rabat added a sixth when Falzon grabbed his hat trick and just before the final whistle Micallef scored his second to give Rabat a 7 – 3 victory.

Played Points

Qormi 12 20

Young Stars 12 20

Hotsticks 12 10

Rabat 12 10

White Hart 12 0

Leave a comment