Penalties hand final spot to Sliema

Friday, July 6, 2012, 19:20

Premier Division S/F 2

Sliema McDonalds 12 – Sirens Ritter Sport 14 (aet)
(2-5, 3-2, 4-2, 2-4)

Agg. 23-23 Sliema win on penalties

Sliema nearly came a cropper once more in the semi final stage, as last year, but they managed to just scrape through after a marathon match.

The game seemed never ending. Sirens made a blistering start and though Sliema reduced the arrears, they were still 5-7 behind at the interval. Sliema then were level after three sessions, but ahead on aggregate, and they were holding on at the end, before David Cutajar took Sirens into extra time with a double advantage, which had both teams even on aggregate.

No goals were registered in the first period of overtime, with Arpad Babay nosing Sirens ahead in the second one, but Sirens’ last possession was lost on time wasting and Sliema saved their blushes with a last gasp John Brownrigg strike.

The match had to go to penalties. Jurgen Borg, Dino Zammit and Csaba Kiss all netted for Sirens, with Brownrigg, Ferenc Salamon and Nikolai Lubrano replying for Sliema. Cutajar hit the post for Sirens, and Paul Privitera scored for Sliema. Charles Zammit brought both sides level, and John Soler failed his throw for Sliema as Alan Grech saved, and it was sudden death from then on.

Borg hit the bar for Sirens, but so did Brownrigg for Sliema. Dino Zammit and Kiss netted for Sirens, but so did Salamon and Lubrano for Sliema. Cutajar again failed to score with Istvan Gergely saving in the Sliema goal. Finally it was left to Privitera to take Sliema into the final, with his second throw, as his side breathed a huge sigh of relief.

Sliema: I. Gergely, C. Cluett , N. Lubrano 1, P. Privitera 1, M. Meli , J. Soler 3,D. Paolella , J. Brownrigg 1, C. Debono1 , F. Salamon 5, M. Rizzo, M. Spiteri Staines, R. Coleiro

Sirens: A. Grech, M. Grech , L. Caruana , A. Sammut, A. Babay 3, C. Kiss 4, J. Borg, D. Cutajar 3, A. Zarb Cousin 3, C. Zammit , C. Spiteri de Barro , D. Zammit 1,N. Griscti

Referees: M. Angileri, C. Congiu

First Division Knockout S/f 2

Valletta Sterling 10 – M’scala MOR€ 11
(4-2, 3-3, 2-5, 1-1)

Agg. 21-24

Valletta made a solid start, and had M’scala in difficulties, when they were 7-2 ahead, but M’scala came back slowly but surely, to snukk out their deficit and then forge ahead. The Citizens kept on trying till the end, but M’scala held out to progress to the final and defend the honour they won last season.

Valletta had Aldo Scerri in charge of the squad, and M’scala recalled Judashz Szolt instead of Gabor Hegedus. Ranier Scerri was on his second game suspension from three.

Valletta: A. Sammut, S. Meli 1, R. Calleja , A. Galea , T. Agius 4, S. Cachia 1, Al. Galea , M. Korolija 2, M. Cordina , D. Zoltan 2, A. Arrigo , JC Farrugia, K. Hyzler

M’scala: K. Schembri, C. Mifsud , M. Pace 1, B. Muscat , J. Kayes 2, L. Grixti, J. Licari 2, J. Cremona 1, S. Micallef 3, J. Szolt 2, D. Cassar, M. Fenech, K. Navarro

Referees: M. Dalli, I. Sciriha

Leave a comment