- Sport In Malta - http://www.sportinmalta.com -

Local hockey news …

Posted By Sportinmalta On December 2, 2013 @ 2:45 pm In Featured,Hockey | No Comments

Young Stars    1     Rabat    1

Umpires   Luke Busuttil Leaver    Manuel Imbroll


Just a week after the two teams locked horns in the Challenge Cup final, they produced fast flowing hockey with Young Stars enjoying early pressure but with Rabat making their mark as the game wore on.  Young Stars created a couple of half chances in the first ten minutes and after a period of territorial dominance Edward Hughes had a reverse hit well saved in the 20th minute.   Four minutes later Rabat were unable to take advantage of a one-on-one situation when Young Stars’ custodian James Mizzi blocked the way to goal.   After not availing themselves of a penalty corner in the 31st minute, Clive Williams missed a chance to put Young Stars ahead, when unmarked, he hit out from a favourable position.  The half time whistle blew with either team unable to score.


Eight minutes into the second half , Young Stars won a penalty corner and Mark Camilleri buried a shot into the right corner of the Young Stars’ net to give his team a 1 – 0 lead.   Both teams then increased their efforts to break down each other’s defences but it was not until the 54th minute, that Rabat won a penalty corner which was not availed of.   Three minutes later, Mark Camilleri spurned an opportunity to put Young Stars further ahead but put his shot wide.  In the 63rd minute Shawn Falzon made no mistake, when as a result of a penalty corner, he scored to equalize for Rabat.   Despite winning another two penalty corners Rabat were unable to clinch victory and the game ended with honours even.





Qormi   7         White Hart  0     Umpires   Reno Cremona   Robert Aquilina


As early as the third minute Qormi won a penalty corner and Juan Sarcia shot them ahead.  After further probing of the White Hart defence, in the 15thminute, a delightful move which involved Keith Calleja and Kyle Micallef freed Steve Tanti to push home and give Qormi a 2 – 0 lead.   Tanti scored his second and Qormi’s third in the 20th minute when he shot home after picking up a rebound off the goalkeeper’s pads.  From then on Qormi dominated the half and should have increased their tally as both John Williams and Thomas Degiovanni fluffed easy chances before the half time whistle blew with Qormi still 3 – 0 up while the heavens opened up.


The second half got under way under incessant rain and Qormi continued to maintain constant pressure failing to capitalize from a number of penalty corners up to the 52nd minute.   Two minutes later, White Hart, in one of their rare attacks won a short corner and almost pulled one back when Gareth Dimech cleared off the line with his goalkeeper beaten.   Qormi counter attacked immediately and Tanti notched his third goal to send his team 4 – 0 up.  The game was over as a contest at this point and Juan Sarcia scored Qormi’s fifth in the 62nd minute as a result of a penalty corner action and went on to score again from a similar situation to send his team 6 – 0 in front while notching his hat trick.    There was still time for Kyle MIcallef to score Qormi’s seventh goal in the last minute to give his team an emphatic victory.



Article printed from Sport In Malta: http://www.sportinmalta.com

URL to article: http://www.sportinmalta.com/local-hockey-news/

Copyright © 2010 Sport In Malta. All rights reserved.