Hockey: Poiatti Qormi 5 – Young Stars ReMax 1

Thursday, December 4, 2014, 13:13

Umpires   Manuel Imbroll  & Robert Aquilina

In the fourth minute Qormi won a penalty corner and, Young Stars’, Andrew Camilleri cleared off the line in estremis.    In the 8thminute a well-orchestrated move with the ball flowing from end to end through four sublime passes saw Kyle Micallef push home to send Qormi into a 1 – 0 lead.    They continued to dominate territorially with Young Stars counter attacking,  until a Young Stars’ penalty corner awarded in the 21st minute forced Qormi’s custodian Ramon Chircop into a diving save.  A minute later Young Stars were awarded another penalty corner and Mark Camilleri netted to level the score.    A 32nd minute penalty corner award saw Qormi go into a 2 – 1 lead when Juan Sarcia scored the ball taking a deflection of Young Stars’ keepers glove.  Qormi retained  a one goal lead at half time.


Early in the second half both teams created half chances but in the 40th minute John Williams shot Qormi into a 3 – 1 lead pouncing onto a rebound and slotting home.  Although Young Stars counter attacked it was James Mizzi, their keeper, who executed two fine saves around the 50th minute mark but he was well beaten  four minutes later by Micallef who notched his second and Qormi’s fourth goal.   Micallef completed his hat trick  with the help of Zachary Degiovanni in the 64th minute to send Qormi into a 5 – 1 lead – an advantage which they held up to the final whistle.



Sliema Hotsticks   3     White Hart Laferla Insurance     0     Umpires   Luke Busuttil Leaver     Edward Hughes


After a studious opening ten minutes the game sprung to life when Julian Zahra netted to send Hotsticks into a 1 – 0 lead.    Although dominating territorially, they did not extend their lead failing to avail themselves of three penalty corners and half time was reached with the score unchanged.


The second half was played out with Hotsticks continually on the attack and in the 40th minute David Agius of White Hart prevented a certain goal when he cleared a shot off the line from point blank range.    Hotsticks continued to apply constant pressure but although winning four penalty corners in the following ten minutes they could not turn their advantage into goals.  The situation changed when in the 50th minute Ryan Dalli netted to send them into a 2 – 0 lead.   After White Hart spurned a chance in the 54thminute Lukas Plaehn scored number three for Hotsticks in the 61st minute rounding off a penalty corner action.  Further Hotsticks pressure in the last five minutes did not yield any dividends from another three penalty corners awarded leaving the score unchanged at 3 – 0 for Hotsticks.

Leave a comment