Hockey Association Malta Challenge Cup Results (October 2016)

Tuesday, November 15, 2016, 20:30

Gavin Muscat


Rabat    3         Young Stars   4        

Umpires   Luke Busuttil Leaver      Andre Ghio

Early on Shawn Falzon saw his goal bound effort  cleared off the line by Young Stars’ defence.     Both teams were well marshalled defensively and although the game was entertaining, it was not until the 18th  minute that Young Stars were awarded a penalty corner and saw their effort hit the post.   Rabat then missed a couple of chances to go ahead when they failed to convert two balls hit directly into the D.    On 34 minutes Cornellissen Nanko crossed for Luke Borg Costanzi to hook home into the top corner sending Young Stars into a 1 – 0 lead.    Almost immediately Rabat were awarded a penalty corner, just before the half time whistle blew and their mid field general, Kevin Micallef, picked his spot to level the score a 1 – 1.

On 48 minutes Young Stars went into a 2 -1 lead when Mark Camilleri blasted into the net as a result of a penalty corner award and they extended their lead when on 52 minutes Edward Hughes converted a penalty stroke sending them into a 3 -1 advantage.    Three minutes later Borg Costanzi scored his second goal and his team’s fourth after he received a pinpoint pass from Camilleri’s run down the right flank.  Rabat did not give up and on 60 minutes Charlot Antonelli rounded Young Stars’ goalkeeper and shot home to reduce the arrears to 4 – 2.  They continued to exert pressure on the Young Stars’ rear guard but were denied on two occasions by Young Stars’ custodian James Mizzi.   A Minute from time they were awarded a penalty stroke which Christopher Bugeja converted in style, to further reduce the deficit to 4 -3 .   The final whistle blowing giving Young Stars a narrow victory in a highly entertaining encounter.



Laferla White Hart   1     Qormi Poiatti   5              

Umpires   Reno Cremona   Edward Hughes

Qormi drew first blood on 11 minutes when Kyle Micallef shot them ahead as a result of a penalty corner action.    White Hart reacted with counter attacks down the flanks , although Qormi enjoyed territorial advantage overall.    On 26 minutes White Hart equalised when Charlo Sammut pounced on a loose ball during a melee inside the D and pushed home.  Both teams then did not take advantage of penalty corners awarded to them and  half time was reached with the score unchanged at 1 – 1.

After Qormi had hit the post on 43 minutes it was Micallef who notched his second two minutes later to send Qormi  to a 2 -1 lead.    The game remained a balanced affair with both teams missing penalty corner opportunities until Qormi scored two goals in the space of two minutes – the first on 56 minutes when Zachary Degiovanni scored to send his team into a 3 -1 lead and the second three minutes later when Juan Sarcia converted a penalty stroke to extend his team’s lead to 4 – 1.   This killed the game as a contest and on 65 minutes John Williams pushed home from close range to register a 5 – 1 victory for his side.

Leave a comment