The Southsiders win over Ħamrun

Friday, January 28, 2011, 20:18

by Joshua Cacciattolo.

Marsaxlokk managed to beat Hamrun Spartans with a 3-2 final score in an entertainment match played at the Victor Tedesco Stadium.

 Hamrun opened the score on the 15th minute from the penalty spot. In the second half, between the 64th minute and 67th minute Marsaxlokk took the lead thanks to Florent Raimy’s tap in and Ruben Guerreiro’s over head kick. Steve D’Amato’s team managed to equalise thanks also to Geatan Spiteri’s tap in. Trevor Templeman had the last laugh and made 3-2 for the Southsiders. Marsaxlokk now have 22 points from 16 games while Hamrun Spartans dropped to the sixth place with 19 points. Hamrun suffered the fourth consecutive loss while Marsaxlokk gained 8 points since their last loss against Floriana.

Spartans coach Steve D’Amato opted for a 4-4-2 formation wIth the Brazilian Marcelo Pereira and Dene Shields forming the forward line. The Scottish was returing from a long lay off after he suffered an injury against Floriana in the first round. Loaned Dyson Falzon marked his debut from the first minute. Hamrun Spartans were coming from three consecutive defeats against Floriana, Hiberians and their last defeat last Saturday against Champions Birkirkara.

Marsaxlokk coach Patrick Curmi made one change from last Saturday’s goalless draw against leaders Valletta: Captain Carlo Mamo replaced suspended Rumen Galabov.

First Half

15min: Dene Shields returns with a goal! The Scottish converts from the penalty spot after Frenchman Florent Raimy fouled Marcelo Pereira in the box.

40min: Dene Shields hit the post.

Second Half:

47min:  Reuben Gauci saved Marcelo Pereira’s header from a Jovan Vukanic cross.

60min: Omar Borg saved a powerful shot from Trevor Tempelman.

64min: 1-1 – Florent Raimy tapped in after Martin Deanov’s free kick hit the post.  

67min: 2-1 in two minutes! Substituted Ruben Guerreiro’s over head kick beat Omar Borg after some good work from Alfred Effiong.

74min: Geatan Spiteri tapped in Dyson Falzon’s cross to make it 2-2.

78min: Trevor Tempelman tapped in Martin Deanov’scross to put the Southsiders for the second time in the lead. 2-3

86min. Another Martin Deanov’s free kick skimmed the post.

Hamrun S: O.Borg, M.A.Bonnici(M.Mifsud 45min), M.Grima, D.Shields, L.J.Agius(D.Kokaveises 84min), M.Pereira, D.Falzon, G.Spiteri, J.Vukanic, D.Camilleri, S.Bonnici

Marsaxlokk: R.Gauci, M.Licari, A.Spiteri, E.Yanchev, C.Mamo, P.Pullicino, F.Raimy, G.Sciberras( R.Guerreiro 52min), M.Deanov, T.Tempelman, A.Effiong

Referee: Paul Caruana

Yellow Cards: P.Pullicino, F.Raimy, T.Templeman, R.Guerrero, M.Deanov (M) D.Camilleri, L.J.Agius, M.Grima (H)

BOV Man of the Match: Dene Shields

Attendance: 723


  1. Karl says:

    Mhux Home qieghed lol


  2. hanruniz says:

    go home damato


Leave a comment