Ham Challenge Cup

Monday, November 26, 2012, 15:30

Rabat 2   Young Stars  3  (Third and fourth place)  Umpires   Paul Brincat   David Agius


The game was decided in the last two minutes when Young Stars scored two goals to steal victory from under Rabat’s nose and win third place.


The game started with a bang and Young Stars drew first blood in the second minute when Marvic Vella scored from a penalty corner action.  The match ebbed and flowed with both sides playing open hockey and in the 10th minute Charlot Antonelli found the net to equalise for Rabat.  After a goal line clearance by Rabat’s Shaun Falzon in the 19th minute they went ahead in the 27th  minute when Charlot Antonelli grabbed his second goal sending his team 2 – 1 ahead, a lead which they held up to when the half time whistle blew.


Young Stars applied most of the pressure in the second half and came close to scoring in the 53rd minute when Mark Camilleri hooked a ball over the bar following a penalty corner action.  In the 62nd minute he ran almost the whole length of the pitch but was stopped just before he was able to release his shot.   In the 68th minute Ivan Magro Dingli equalised for Young Stars when his shot was deflected into the net and with less than a minute left Mark Camilleri netted a screamer to give Young Stars victory in a hard fought and very entertaining game.



Qormi  4   Hotsticks  1   (Final)   Umpires   James Mizzi   Reno  Cremona


A match which lived up to expectations played at a high tempo with Qormi finally winning the cup with two of their goals scored in the last ten minutes of the game.


The first half was a balanced affair with both sides winning a number of penalty corners but not being able to open the score line.   Keith Calleja spurned two chances to put Qormi ahead in the 15th and 18th minute.   As a result Hotsticks  reacted strongly winning four penalty corners in succession around the 29th minute but they were unable to force the ball home.  In the 26th minute Qormi counter attacked and Steve Tanti shot them ahead a lead they held until the whistle blew for half time.


Two minutes into the second half Qormi went further ahead when John Williams lashed on to a Luke Brincat pass to score with a fine effort.  Hotsticks would not lie down and in the 45th minute Shawn Grima pulled one back bringing the score to 2 – 1.   From then on tactical schemes were blown away with spaces opening in both defensive set ups .  In the 52nd minute Ludolf Rasterhoff shot out from a penalty corner action.  Qormi then forced three penalty corners around the 60th minute mark but could not add to their tally.   As it appeared that the score would remain unaltered, Jonathan Aquilina scored Qormi’s third in the 63rd minute and on the stroke of time, Steve Tanti scored his second and Qormi’s fourth to seal victory.


Leave a comment