Ghaxaq triumph in poor game

Sunday, February 9, 2014, 11:18

by Victor Ciangura courtesy of The Malta Independent

APS Bank Under 17  Section C 1

Ghaxaq   4

Marsa      1

This game was characterised by too many fouls committed by both sides and methodical football was as scarce as rain in July. Both teams ended their commitments in the Section, Marsa winning 14 points from 11 games while Ghaxaq won only 9 points from the same number of games.

After only four minutes Marsa were denied by the woodwork. Leon Gafa’ was fouled outside the area and following the free kick by Clyde De Battista, the ball thumped the bar from a header by Ryan Gafa’ with Ghaxaq keeper Jean C Azzopardi beaten and the ball was cleared away.

In the first action by ghaxaq Rudy Cassar was fouled on the left flank and Marsa keeper Christian Agius saved the free kick shot by Owen Farrugia.

In the 18th minute Marsa came very close to open the score when Tellyon Grima entered the area after dribbling past an opponent and after Azzopardi partly saved his shot Ryan Gafa’ missed the upright from the rebound.

In the next action by Ghaxaq in the 19th minute they opened the score as they won a corner kick on the right flank which was taken by Gildave Brignone and Marsa defender Leon Gafa’, in an attempt to clear the ball away had the misfortune of deflecting the ball into his own net, but their joy was short-lived as hardly a minute later Marsa equalised as Leon Gafa’ dribbled past an opponent and scored with a hard grounder from the edge of the area.

Ghaxaq came very close a second goal in the 24th minute when Tyler Carabott released Brignone in the area and the ball missed the bar by inches from his shot.

In the 33rd minute Ghaxaq regained their slender lead. Brandon Gouder served Brignone in the area and he scored with a hard low drive, and two minutes before the break the score became 3-1 as Carabott served Brignone with a square pass just outside the area and he netted with a very hard grounder.

Just after the restart Agius saved a free kick shot in two attempts by Brignone after the same palyer was fouled on the right flank.

In an action by Marsa James Schembri was  fouled on the right flank and after Denilson Sammut served the same player from the free kick in the area but he only managed to hit the side-netting.

Marsa were again denied by the wood work in the 67th minute: Shaun Falzon dribbled past an opponent on the left flank and after serving Leon Gafa’ in the area the ball hit the upright from his shot and finished out.

The Marsa keeper effected two verey good saves in the space of four minutes. Gouder was fouled on the left flank and after the free kick by Farrugia, he saved a close-range header by Shamison Stafrace and Luke Schembri dribbled past an opponent on the right flank and Agius neutralised the ball from his dangerous cross-shot.

Just before the final whistle Ghaxaq scored their fourth goal as they won a corner kick on the left flank which was well-taken by Brignone and Carabott netted with a header.


Referee: Ryan Aquilina                                                                                                                                         Player of the match: Gildave Brignone (Ghaxaq)

Ghaxaq: J.C. Azzopardi, O Farrugia, N.Zammit, B.Gouder, G.Brignone, L.Schembri, A.Coleiro ( S.Stafrace 41), M.Aquilina, R.Cassar ( T.Duca 69), T.J.Carabott, O.Bonnici (R.Agius 64)

Marsa: C.Agius, D.Azzopardi, J.Bonello, D.Bonnici, C.Cardona, C.De Battista, S.Falzon, L.Gafa’, R.Gafa’, T.Grima, B.Vassallo

Leave a comment