Football: The last Malta FA Council meeting of the season

Wednesday, June 21, 2017, 15:05

The last Malta FA Council meeting for season 2016/17 was held on Tuesday at the Hotel Le Meridien St Julians.

Dr Angelo Chetcuti, the General Secretary of the Malta FA, announced that the draws of the BOV Football Leagues – Premier League, Division One, Two and Three – will take place on July 3.

The BOV Premier League season kicks off on August 18. A total of 14 clubs will compete in the top-flight championship over two rounds in 2017/18.

For his part, Norman Darmanin Demajo, the MFA President, congratulated the 19 coaches who successfully completed the first UEFA Pro Course conducted by the MFA Technical Centre.

Darmanin Demajo said it is indeed an honour for the Malta FA and Maltese football in general, that such a high-level coaching course has been held in our country.

The Malta FA President urged locals clubs to show more faith in Maltese coaches, especially those who have obtained the UEFA Pro licence.

 

TROPHIES LOUNGE

Darmanin Demajo also spoke about the new Trophies Lounge on Level 2 of the Millennium Stand.

The Trophies Lounge Membership gives holders access to the nicely-decorated and spacious hospitality area, with optimal views of the pitch, and a seat in the VIP zone for all the domestic and international matches.

The VIP sector in the Millennium Stand has a total of 470 seats and the membership fee for season 2017/18 is €575.

While the Trophies Lounge membership is a new concept for Maltese football, corporate hospitality facilities are common in football stadia overseas.

“We believe it’s worth a try,” Darmanin Demajo said of the Trophies Lounge membership.

Darmanin Demajo welcomed the publication of the Legal Notice regarding the Law for the Commercialisation of Sports Facilities. The Legal Notice was published on May 31st, 2017.

The MFA President said this constituted a very positive step for local clubs as it would enable them to carry out commercial activity on their sports premises.

Darmanin Demajo urged clubs to exercise caution when negotiating with potential investors.

 

OTHER MATTERS

Dr Chetcuti provided an update on the state of affairs at Division Two club Marsaxlokk FC.

Marsaxlokk FC were compelled to call off their Annual General Meeting earlier this month owing to a shortage of candidates who put their name forward to form part of the club’s committee.

Their situation was discussed during a meeting of the Malta FA Member Status Committee last week but things are looking better as Marsaxlokk FC representatives have since notified the Association that they are confident of solving their difficulties.

The MFA Council also discussed a request from a professional player who, despite being entitled to a free and unconditional releaase at the end of his contract, had been unable to sign for a new club as his previous club had a transfer prohibition.

The proposal to allow out-of-contract players who have the right to a free and unconditional release to sign for a new club even if their former employers have a transfer ban, was upheld by the MFA Council.

The MFA Executive Committee endorsed the Member Status Committee’s decision to accept the applications of Marsaskala FC and Ta’ Xbiex FC to take part in the Third Division league after the two clubs occupied the last two positions in the standings at the end of last season.

The MFA Council approved the committee members and delegates of those clubs that submitted the names of their officials by the stipulated date. The Association’s Annual General Meeting is scheduled to take place on July 15 at the Grand Hotel Excelsior.





Leave a comment