Field Hockey: White Hart 1 – Young Stars 3 / Rabat 0 – Qormi 5

Wednesday, October 29, 2014, 19:30

White Hart went ahead in the 2nd minute when Karl Tua netted with a crisp shot into the far corner from the top of the D.    Young Stars reacted but did not convert a couple of penalty corners around the 8th minute.  Lively exchanges followed with White Hart missing a good chance to go further ahead in the 14th minute when Keith Laferla shot wide from a good position.   Two minutes later, after winning a penalty corner, Young Stars were awarded a penalty stroke and Edward Hughes missed equalizing for his team when he pushed his shot wide from the spot.  Although Young Stars enjoyed territorial advantage, winning four penalty corners, White Hart were dangerous on the counter attack and went close to doubling their tally just before the half time whistle blew.


The game turned on its head as within a minute from the restart Jamie Mifsud equalized for Young Stars.   Two minutes later Sam Borg shot them ahead and Elton Cutajar added a third for Young Stars in the 44th minute.  White Hart continued to share midfield exchanges trying hard to reduce the arrears and Tua came close in the 62nd minute when he saw his shot shave just past the right hand post.   The final whistle blew with Yong Stars winning  3 – 1 and moving into the semi final stage of the competition.



Rabat 0      Qormi  5   Umpires:   Edward Hughes      Manuel Imbroll


Qormi won four penalty corners in the first half and enjoyed territorial superiority, but Rabat were well organized defensively and smothered most of Qormi’s attacks outside the D.   A trend which continued until a minute before half time when Juan Sarcia saw his effort off a rebound trickle into the net wrong footing the Rabat goalkeeper and putting his side into a 1 – 0 lead.


Nothing that happened up to the 53rd minute would have led one to believe that, when Steve Tanti scored Qormi’s second goal the flood gates would open.   Two minutes later Jonathan Borg scored Qormi’s third despite Shawn Falzon’s vain effort to stop the ball before it crossed the dead ball line.   In the 58th minute Kyle Micallef added a fourth and in the 64th minute John Williams scored Qormi’s fifth pushing home after a prolonged action in the D.   This victory endorsing Qormi’s passage into the semi final stage of the competition.  Rabat now have to face White Hart to decide who the fourth semifinalist will be.

Leave a comment