Field Hockey November Results

Friday, December 11, 2015, 16:59

Gavin Muscat

The Lightshop Hotsticks   7    Rabat   4   (H/T 1 – 1   F/T  2 – 2  aet  3 – 3   Penalties 4 – 1)   

Umpires : Paul Brincat  James Mizzi

Both teams  started cautiously, but at the first time of asking, on the 11thminute, John Camilleri slotted home to put Hotsticks 1 – 0 up as a result of a penalty corner action.  Within two minutes Rabat drew level when Charlot Antonelli pushed home after a melee inside the D.   Hotsticks missed a couple of chances and although they dominated possession,  for most of the remainder of the first half, they could not break down a well organised Rabat rear guard the half time whistle blowing with the game on an even keel at 1 – 1.

A minute into the second half Julian Zahra shot Hotsticks ahead but after both teams did not avail themselves of penalty corner opportunities on 44 minutes Shawn Falzon’s half hit shot found the net from a penalty corner action to equalize for Rabat.   From then on play became frantic with tactics blown to the wind and added urgency leading to some tough tackling.   Seven penalty corner opportunities were missed, the final whistle blowing to leave the teams locked at 2 – 2.

Hotsticks took the lead again in the second minute of extra time when Shawn Grima netted meeting a cross from the right flank.     Just before the whistle was about to sound at the end of the second period of extra time, Falzon equalized for Rabat from another penalty corner action to send the game into a penalty shootout which Hotsticks won 4 – 1 to qualify for a place in the final on Sunday.


Young Stars 1   Qormi Poiatti   4   (H/T  0 – 2)    

Umpires  Raymond Micallef   Manuel Imbroll

Qormi spurned a couple of chances early on and although they enjoyed territorial advantage the Young Stars defense held firm choosing to counter attack at every opportunity afforded.   In the 22nd minute Juan Sarcia shot Qormi ahead as a result of a penalty corner award and on 33 minutes Steve Tanti netted to send Qormi into a 2 – 0 lead which they held up to half time.

Two minutes into the second half Rens Verhaar pulled one back for Young Stars and at this point of the game they doubled their efforts and did not take advantage of a couple of scoring opportunities which would have blown the game wide open.   However Qormi went further ahead in the 60th minute when Kyle Micallef scored and he grabbed his second and his team’s fourth in the 65th minute to send Qormi into the final against The Lightshop Hotsticks on Sunday.

Leave a comment