Cottonera too strong for Luqa

Friday, September 27, 2013, 19:11
Good Causes Fund Cup
 Under 17 Knock Out Preliminary Round
Luqa          0
Cottonera   5
Cottonera had an easy passage to the First Round as they found no difficulty to beat Luqa by five clear goals. They dominated proceedings throughout the whole game as they created much more actions than Luqa.
The game was only three minutes old when Cottonera opened the score as Antoine Brignone flicked the ball in the net from inside the area after a cross from the right by Carlydon Dmitri.
Encouraged by such an early lead Cottonera resumed with their pressing and mounted five actions in a row. Dmitri served Gianluca Sultana with a cross from the right and the ball missed the upright from his close-range header.Antoine Brignone released Dmitri on the left flank but his perfect cross found no takers to apply the killer touch. After a run down the right flank by Matthew Attard the ball hit the bar from his cross-shot with Luqa keeper Warren Galea beaten and finished out of play, and later he had to dive and save a shot by Attard after he was served with a square pass by Antoine Brignone and after a flag kick by Gabriel Calleja the ball was partly cleared and from the rebound shot by Sultana the ball was cleared to another corner.
In the first action by Luqa Bernard Muscat pounced on a faulty clearance and as he tried his luck from outside the area Cottonera keeper Lawrence Cauchi tipped the ball over the bar to a corner.
A minute before the break Cottonera doubled their lead when after a flag kick by Calleja, Triston Abela Wilson netted from inside the area with a hard low drive.
Seven minutes after the resumption Cottonera scored a third goal when after a well-taken flag kick by Calleja, Romario Brignone scored with a hard rising shot from inside the area.
In another action by Cottonera Romario Brignone released Attard in the area but he drove over the bar with only Galea to beat.
In an action by Luqa substitute Keith Grima was fouled on the right flank and Cauchi saved the free kick shot by Lydon Sciberras.
The score became 4-0 on the hour when from a cross-shot from the left flank by Calleja a Luqa defender in an attempt to clear the ball away had the misfortune to deflect the ball into his own net.
The pressing by Cottonera was incessant as they mounted two further actions. Calleja served Attard with a through ball in the area and the ball missed the upright from his shot and Sultana was then fouled outside the area and the ball thumped the bar from the free kick by Romario Brignone with Galea beaten.
In the first minute of added time Cottonera scored their fifth goal as Sultana scored with a rising short from inside the area after a flag kick by Calleja.
Luqa: W.Galea, F.Aquilina, W.Busuttil, J.Caruana, A.Demanuele, B.Galea, B.Muscat ( K.Grima 50), A Psaila, L.Sciberras, C.Scicluna, T.Spiteri
Cottonera: L.Cauchi, J.Spiteri, C.Dmitri, B.Genovese, G.Sultana, G.Calleja, M.Attard (O.Gauci 74), C.Buttigieg, T.Abela Wilson, R.Brignone, A.Brignone
Referee: Jules Ngamgue

Leave a comment