BOV Basketball Season 2018/19 Launched

Wednesday, September 19, 2018, 7:41

The BOV Basketball Season 2018/2019 was officially launched during a press conference held inside the Ta’ Qali Basketball Pavilion.

Paul Sultana, President of the Malta Basketball Association announced with pleasure that the BOV 1st Division League will this year feature 7 teams, up from 5 last season, with the BOV Amateur League featuring 5 teams.

‘This season will see teams having a maximum of 3 foreign players, with 2 Maltese players on court at all times’ said the MBA President. ‘This will eliminate certain questions raised by the ‘Local Foreigner’ concept introduced last year with the Maltese players training and gaining experience from the foreign players registered with their club.’

‘This experimental concept aims to eliminate the need for teams to field very young players, who might not be ready for top flight basketball’ said the MBA General Secretary Joseph Muscat. ‘Foreign players must also be registered with a particular age group with their club, so if a foreign player, even though of a young age, is registered with the senior team, he cannot also play in the younger category, giving more play-time to the local players’

‘We are very pleased to see the increase in teams in the BOV Basketball First Division and I take this opportunity to wish all teams the best of luck for the season commencing at the end of this week with the Independence Cup,’ said BOV Chief Officer Peter Perotti. ‘We are looking forward to another exciting Basketball Season witnessing the ever-increasing level of play in a healthy competitive environment.’

The fixtures for the BOV Basketball Knockout competitions were drawn as follows:





Leave a comment